Saturday, June 19, 2010

Guess what I learned from a recent course evaluation?

Every semester ends with students filling out class evaluation forms. These forms vary from college to college, but the gist is always the same. Many faculty dislike them. Not me. I like evaluations from students because I usually learn something when I read them (long after final grades have been processed). I mean, it's not like I cannot improve, I certainly can, and do.

Sometimes I improve by changing a text book that nobody but me seems to like. (Students seems to hate Database Principles, Programming, and Performance by O'Neil & O'Neil, but I think it's one of the best database books ever written.) Other times I've learned about assignments that many thought were too hard. (Note: I am not always sympathetic to that, but it is good to know.) And sometimes the comments are jaw-droppingly absurd.  Here's one of those. 
Labouseur was a hard teacher for me. I learned a lot but he gives written tests that are based off things he talks about. He does not give any notes at all. Expects you to take notes on things he says only. Would have been helpful to know before hand so I was actually taking notes while he talked.
So let me get this straight: This student somehow managed to graduate high school and get into a decent college without knowing that you're supposed to take notes when the teacher is talking? I would not have believed that had I not read it for myself. Amazing.

What did I learn? I learned that I have to put my expectations of note-taking in my course syllabi and cover it at the beginning of every semester.



1 comment:

  1. I can certainly hear the "nobody told me..." lament in my head. The commenter sounds like it is someone else's fault (perhaps yours) that he/she did not know to take notes.

    Perhaps you do need to be The Blunt Professor in this case, telling them that certain mistakes are expected to be made...once.

    When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

    ReplyDelete