Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Personal Tenure

There is an interesting "Room For Debate" feature in the New York Times on the topic of tenure in higher education. There are convincing arguments both for and against. But to me the issue is, well... academic1 since I'm in a non-ternured position. As such, I'm fond of saying that I have to keep my job through competence. Some of my colleagues don't find that amusing.

I'm equally fond of saying that I teach for love and consult for money. Some of my colleagues think I'm kidding.

I also explain to those who'll listen that I love being a professor so much that I teach for free 2 but get paid to attend meetings, do committee work, and submit grades. Some of my colleagues don't get that.

Is there a theme here? Some of my colleagues don't see that.


1 Sorry.
2 That's my "Personal Tenure".

1 comment:

  1. There are those that establish their value from their job title or pay. There are those that establish their value from occupational security measures such as tenure. And there are those that establish their value from within.

    Job titles and pay can be given and taken away by others as quickly as a breeze changes direction. Tenure, while more fortified, can bind you to a value that periodically needs adjustments that you cannot make alone. But the value from within can only be raised or lowered by one person - you.

    ReplyDelete